return of Catalyst
Max
2017-08-05 09:32:39 UTC
After all the fuss about Catalyst being cancelled now it is back.

Typical ABC bullshit. There was all this talk about why it was being cancelled.
Trevor
2017-08-05 09:37:54 UTC
Post by Max
After all the fuss about Catalyst being cancelled now it is back.
Typical ABC bullshit. There was all this talk about why it was being cancelled.
So good to see they can, sometimes at least, admit when they are wrong
then, unlike our politicians! :-(

Trevor.
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-08-06 01:16:15 UTC
Post by Max
After all the fuss about Catalyst being cancelled now it is back.
Typical ABC bullshit. There was all this talk about why it was
being cancelled.
They said it would come back in a different format. I think they
might have said it would have a different name, but it's still
nothing unexpected.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
jonz
2017-08-15 15:45:50 UTC
And a good show it was.
Max
2017-08-15 21:32:06 UTC
Post by jonz
And a good show it was.
I don't think it was. Dreamy, fluffy nonsense.
Government Shill #2
2017-08-15 21:45:35 UTC
Post by Max
Post by jonz
And a good show it was.
I don't think it was. Dreamy, fluffy nonsense.
Yeah, and too long. I got bored and turned it off.

Shill #2
--
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance
to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-08-15 23:07:40 UTC
Post by Government Shill #2
Post by Max
Post by jonz
And a good show it was.
I don't think it was. Dreamy, fluffy nonsense.
Yeah, and too long. I got bored and turned it off.
I don't think there was really enough depth in the topic to
sustain an hour, at least for me. I would have preferred a more
scientific topic than just "VR in general", but maybe they
didn't want to scare the horses with the first show.

Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
b***@topmail.co.nz
"Motherboard" on SBS2 isn't too bad for a "science" show.
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-08-17 22:39:03 UTC
Post by b***@topmail.co.nz
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
I don't think there was really enough depth in the topic to
sustain an hour, at least for me. I would have preferred a more
scientific topic than just "VR in general", but maybe they
didn't want to scare the horses with the first show.
Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
"Motherboard" on SBS2 isn't too bad for a "science" show.
Yes, it's quite good.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-09-26 23:17:53 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
Sure enough, the last two episodes have been Cayalyst-Horizon
co-productions (assuming the ABC were actually involved in the
production at all).

I found them interesting though.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Government Shill #2
2017-09-26 23:32:29 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
Sure enough, the last two episodes have been Cayalyst-Horizon
co-productions (assuming the ABC were actually involved in the
production at all).
I found them interesting though.
Last night's was interesting. I thought the previous ones were too long for the
subject. I prefer the half hour, three story format of the old Catalyst.

Shill #2
I thought I was wrong once, but it turned out I was mistaken.
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-09-27 23:04:37 UTC
Post by Government Shill #2
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
Sure enough, the last two episodes have been Cayalyst-Horizon
co-productions (assuming the ABC were actually involved in the
production at all).
I found them interesting though.
Last night's was interesting. I thought the previous ones were too long for the
subject.
I could sit through pretty much anything technical, but the last
one was indeed the most sustaining so far.
Post by Government Shill #2
I prefer the half hour, three story format of the old Catalyst.
It does seem that many of the smaller stories will now miss out
because they can only be shown if they fit within a larger
one-hour picture.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Trevor
2017-09-28 10:33:59 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Government Shill #2
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
Sure enough, the last two episodes have been Cayalyst-Horizon
co-productions (assuming the ABC were actually involved in the
production at all).
I found them interesting though.
Last night's was interesting. I thought the previous ones were too long for the
subject.
I could sit through pretty much anything technical, but the last
one was indeed the most sustaining so far.
Personally I found it far too obvious. And gee who would have thought
new technology might take a while to iron out the bugs? Oh yea, anybody
familiar with technology! Frankly I can't see how driverless cars can be
any worse than most drivers, I think we are there already. Things can
only get better.
And as for the petrol head who says everyone wants to drive themselves,
what BS. I think people will be happy to sit back and relax, and go to a
racetrack at the weekend when they really want to drive. I can see in
the future a lot more pay as you go circuits like the Nurburgring! :-)
None of this was even considered though.

Trevor.
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-09-28 23:18:48 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Government Shill #2
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
Sure enough, the last two episodes have been Cayalyst-Horizon
co-productions (assuming the ABC were actually involved in the
production at all).
I found them interesting though.
Last night's was interesting. I thought the previous ones were too long for the
subject.
I could sit through pretty much anything technical, but the last
one was indeed the most sustaining so far.
Personally I found it far too obvious. And gee who would have thought
new technology might take a while to iron out the bugs? Oh yea, anybody
familiar with technology! Frankly I can't see how driverless cars can be
any worse than most drivers, I think we are there already. Things can
only get better.
I don't think they've appreciated all the challenges in country driving.
I'd like to see some detail of how they would handle things like stock
being driven up roads, gravel roads (including pot holes), single car
width roads with occasional hazards by the side of the road etc. etc.
etc. Heck half of the road I live on isn't in most GPS maps.

For the cities I agree it has lots of potential though, especially as
the enviroment can be modified over time to work around any particularly
tricky challenges for the technology.
Post by Trevor
And as for the petrol head who says everyone wants to drive themselves,
what BS. I think people will be happy to sit back and relax, and go to a
racetrack at the weekend when they really want to drive. I can see in
the future a lot more pay as you go circuits like the Nurburgring! :-)
None of this was even considered though.
I think it was balanced enough. I'm on his side though from the perspective
of country driving. Going for a drive somewhere would be nowhere near the
same if I couldn't choose exactly how I was moving. I don't even use a GPS
for that.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Trevor
2017-09-29 09:23:29 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Trevor
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Government Shill #2
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
[...]
Yes, but obviously these things need to be addressed, and that can
easily be done, before driverless cars are common. I'm sure all vehicles
initially will have to be dual mode, with the car simply stopping in
uncharted areas and switching to driver mode. Driver aids like lane
departure warning, emergency braking, driver alertness monitoring,
adaptive cruise control etc. will all improve and still help in any
case. The hard part as always is getting the technology common place
when many people can't afford to upgrade their cars every few years like
some people can.
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
For the cities I agree it has lots of potential though, especially as
the enviroment can be modified over time to work around any particularly
tricky challenges for the technology.
Right it's already being done in preparation, just as you would expect.
Lots more needs to be done, but the cost will be far less than the cost
of motor accidents currently are IMO.
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Trevor
And as for the petrol head who says everyone wants to drive themselves,
what BS. I think people will be happy to sit back and relax, and go to a
racetrack at the weekend when they really want to drive. I can see in
the future a lot more pay as you go circuits like the Nurburgring! :-)
None of this was even considered though.
I think it was balanced enough. I'm on his side though from the perspective
of country driving. Going for a drive somewhere would be nowhere near the
same if I couldn't choose exactly how I was moving. I don't even use a GPS
for that.
No need to worry, I can't see driverless cars being the only cars on the
road for quite some time to come. Personally I enjoy driving too, but
would far prefer all the morons didn't, and would be happy to limit my
driving to a race track if that meant nobody else was going to crash
into me or kill me just because they aren't paying attention. Things
have become really bad now with most people unable to turn off their
mobile phones, and it was bad enough before! Driverless cars will at
least let them SMS, surf the net etc. to their hearts content.

Trevor.

Trevor
2017-09-27 03:24:01 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
Sure enough, the last two episodes have been Cayalyst-Horizon
co-productions (assuming the ABC were actually involved in the
production at all).
I didn't see them listed on the credits, so I doubt it.

Trevor.
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-09-27 23:09:04 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
Sure enough, the last two episodes have been Cayalyst-Horizon
co-productions (assuming the ABC were actually involved in the
production at all).
I didn't see them listed on the credits, so I doubt it.
They haven't shown credits for any of the Catalyst-only ones
either, which I thought was strange (made me wonder if they're
embarrased about the number of people from old catalyst still
working on it).

I noticed a link to a full credits list at the end of the last
show, which I thought was:
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/credits
But that keeps coming up as "page not found", and I can't find
a link on the homepage.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Trevor
2017-09-28 10:24:54 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Trevor
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Presumably they're trying to make something like an Australian
version of the BBC's Horizon series.
Sure enough, the last two episodes have been Cayalyst-Horizon
co-productions (assuming the ABC were actually involved in the
production at all).
I didn't see them listed on the credits, so I doubt it.
They haven't shown credits for any of the Catalyst-only ones
either, which I thought was strange (made me wonder if they're
embarrased about the number of people from old catalyst still
working on it).
Possibly, it was obviously an Australian co-production, and the BBC were
prominently listed, but the ABC conspicuous by their absence.
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
I noticed a link to a full credits list at the end of the last
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/credits
But that keeps coming up as "page not found", and I can't find
a link on the homepage.
Par for their web site unfortunately.

Trevor.