Need advice for TV PVR.
Peter Jason
2017-09-28 05:34:38 UTC
Is there a simple app to schedule & record TV?

I have an aerial on the roof, connected to a Hauppage tuner card. All
I need is an EPG and a way to record future TV shows.

A simple PVR from a discount store does more than I need, so why is so
hard to get a computer app to do it?

KODI is unintelligible, no live TV, and why do I need "plug-ins"?

Media Portal 2 is the same, but at least I'm getting some channels,
and the EPG doesn't work.

The old Windows Media Center worked fine, and that's all I need!

Help!
Trevor
2017-09-28 10:40:05 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Is there a simple app to schedule & record TV?
I have an aerial on the roof, connected to a Hauppage tuner card. All
I need is an EPG and a way to record future TV shows.
A simple PVR from a discount store does more than I need, so why is so
hard to get a computer app to do it?
KODI is unintelligible, no live TV, and why do I need "plug-ins"?
Media Portal 2 is the same, but at least I'm getting some channels,
and the EPG doesn't work.
The old Windows Media Center worked fine, and that's all I need!
Linux is what you want for a computer DVR, NOT Windows. Plenty of good
free apps to choose from there.

Trevor.
Peter Jason
2017-09-28 21:50:27 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Is there a simple app to schedule & record TV?
I have an aerial on the roof, connected to a Hauppage tuner card. All
I need is an EPG and a way to record future TV shows.
A simple PVR from a discount store does more than I need, so why is so
hard to get a computer app to do it?
KODI is unintelligible, no live TV, and why do I need "plug-ins"?
Media Portal 2 is the same, but at least I'm getting some channels,
and the EPG doesn't work.
The old Windows Media Center worked fine, and that's all I need!
Linux is what you want for a computer DVR, NOT Windows. Plenty of good
free apps to choose from there.
Trevor.
Thanks, but I've just discovered the:

"Hauppauge WinTV v7.2.28147 w Extend (STANDALONE INSTALLER)"

and it's working great, so far. I tested it last night
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-09-28 23:28:47 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Is there a simple app to schedule & record TV?
I have an aerial on the roof, connected to a Hauppage tuner card. All
I need is an EPG and a way to record future TV shows.
A simple PVR from a discount store does more than I need, so why is so
hard to get a computer app to do it?
KODI is unintelligible, no live TV, and why do I need "plug-ins"?
Media Portal 2 is the same, but at least I'm getting some channels,
and the EPG doesn't work.
The old Windows Media Center worked fine, and that's all I need!
Linux is what you want for a computer DVR, NOT Windows. Plenty of good
free apps to choose from there.
"Hauppauge WinTV v7.2.28147 w Extend (STANDALONE INSTALLER)"
and it's working great, so far. I tested it last night
Yeah I thought I remembered those Hauppauge coming with PVR software.

The other such software I've heard of is MythTV. Primarily for
Linux, but Windows builds are here:
http://mythtvwindows.sourceforge.net/

I've never tried it myself though. I tend towards more "nerdy"
software. :)
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Trevor
2017-09-29 09:30:27 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Is there a simple app to schedule & record TV?
I have an aerial on the roof, connected to a Hauppage tuner card. All
I need is an EPG and a way to record future TV shows.
A simple PVR from a discount store does more than I need, so why is so
hard to get a computer app to do it?
KODI is unintelligible, no live TV, and why do I need "plug-ins"?
Media Portal 2 is the same, but at least I'm getting some channels,
and the EPG doesn't work.
The old Windows Media Center worked fine, and that's all I need!
Linux is what you want for a computer DVR, NOT Windows. Plenty of good
free apps to choose from there.
"Hauppauge WinTV v7.2.28147 w Extend (STANDALONE INSTALLER)"
and it's working great, so far. I tested it last night
Silly me, I thought you might have tried the software provided by the
manufacturer of your tuner card before asking here. Still, as long as
you are happy now.

Trevor.
Peter Jason
2017-10-01 02:55:59 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
[...]
Of course I have the original disk, but it will not work on this Win10
computer.
However the download from the Internet does.

I don't know why and I don't care. The Hauppauge website is a
bottleneck of confusion.
Trevor
2017-10-01 07:29:30 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
[...]
That's your problem. If you realised you might need a new version of
software or drivers for a new operating system, or even just for a bug
fix, you might bother to check for updates before asking others for help.

Trevor.
Peter Jason
2017-10-01 22:46:17 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
[...]
And now I've lost half a movie because of the wretched
daylight-savings thing, a contrivance calculated to ruin everything.
These's no setting I can find in Hauppauge to adjust this!!!
Trevor
2017-10-02 01:32:05 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
[...]
Love having more daylight while I'm awake than asleep myself. Saves on
electricity too. FAR more people benefit than those who lose.
Post by Peter Jason
These's no setting I can find in Hauppauge to adjust this!!!
Surely the software just follows the computer clock, you do have the
computer set to automatically adjust for daylight saving time right?
If the movie spanned 2AM-3AM Sunday, you might have problems I guess.
Although I admit after all these years, some of the TV stations can't
get their EPG's right, so I never rely on those alone.

MY set top DVR OTOH doesn't automatically adjust the clock, and can't
even properly adjust the stored schedules when the DST setting is
manually changed, yet my old one (more than ten years old and SD only)
could do both. Some manufacturers are just hopeless. :-(

Trevor.
Peter Jason
2017-10-02 04:08:01 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
[...]
Well, WA & Queensland seem to be thriving!
Post by Trevor
Post by Peter Jason
These's no setting I can find in Hauppauge to adjust this!!!
Surely the software just follows the computer clock, you do have the
computer set to automatically adjust for daylight saving time right?
If the movie spanned 2AM-3AM Sunday, you might have problems I guess.
Although I admit after all these years, some of the TV stations can't
get their EPG's right, so I never rely on those alone.
The WinTV v7.2 that I have has no way to enlarge the EPG screen to fit
more into the dialogue space. Would the WinTV 8 have this ability?
Post by Trevor
MY set top DVR OTOH doesn't automatically adjust the clock, and can't
even properly adjust the stored schedules when the DST setting is
manually changed, yet my old one (more than ten years old and SD only)
could do both. Some manufacturers are just hopeless. :-(
Yes, they're dreadful! I wonder if they actually USE the software
they create.
Trevor.
hector
2017-10-03 05:40:40 UTC
Post by Peter Jason
Is there a simple app to schedule & record TV?
I have an aerial on the roof, connected to a Hauppage tuner card. All
I need is an EPG and a way to record future TV shows.
A simple PVR from a discount store does more than I need, so why is so
hard to get a computer app to do it?
KODI is unintelligible, no live TV, and why do I need "plug-ins"?
Media Portal 2 is the same, but at least I'm getting some channels,
and the EPG doesn't work.
The old Windows Media Center worked fine, and that's all I need!
Help!
There's this.
http://digitalnow.com.au/DNTVscheduler.html

Some of the software requires you have the dntv tuner I think, this
might not.
hector
2017-10-03 05:42:56 UTC
Post by hector
Post by Peter Jason
Is there a simple app to schedule & record TV?
I have an aerial on the roof, connected to a Hauppage tuner card. All
I need is an EPG and a way to record future TV shows.
A simple PVR from a discount store does more than I need, so why is so
hard to get a computer app to do it?
KODI is unintelligible, no live TV, and why do I need "plug-ins"?
Media Portal 2 is the same, but at least I'm getting some channels,
and the EPG doesn't work.
The old Windows Media Center worked fine, and that's all I need!
Help!
There's this.
http://digitalnow.com.au/DNTVscheduler.html
Some of the software requires you have the dntv tuner I think, this
might not.
a bit more of something
http://www.digitalnow.com.au/Webscheduler.html
Peter Jason
2017-10-03 22:11:11 UTC
Post by hector
Post by hector
Post by Peter Jason
Is there a simple app to schedule & record TV?
I have an aerial on the roof, connected to a Hauppage tuner card. All
I need is an EPG and a way to record future TV shows.
A simple PVR from a discount store does more than I need, so why is so
hard to get a computer app to do it?
KODI is unintelligible, no live TV, and why do I need "plug-ins"?
Media Portal 2 is the same, but at least I'm getting some channels,
and the EPG doesn't work.
The old Windows Media Center worked fine, and that's all I need!
Help!
There's this.
http://digitalnow.com.au/DNTVscheduler.html
Some of the software requires you have the dntv tuner I think, this
might not.
a bit more of something
http://www.digitalnow.com.au/Webscheduler.html
Thanks, I have just upgraded to WinTV8 and hope to upgrade to WinTV8.5
soon. These have all I need.