Headlines half showing on ABC 24
hector
2017-05-04 02:16:55 UTC
The headlines shown at the bottom of the screen on channel 24 are half
hidden all the time. Does anyone see them properly?
SD TV has a 'normal' mode that slightly overscans. With HD, I can
choose 'full pixel', but I have no options at all on SD TV.
Are TVs different now? I bought mine in 2009. Sony Bravia full HD.
b***@topmail.co.nz
2017-05-04 09:07:01 UTC
Post by hector
The headlines shown at the bottom of the screen on channel 24 are half
hidden all the time. Does anyone see them properly?
SD TV has a 'normal' mode that slightly overscans. With HD, I can
choose 'full pixel', but I have no options at all on SD TV.
Are TVs different now? I bought mine in 2009. Sony Bravia full HD.
I am currently watching ABC24 on an old CRT+STB because the remote died on my
Samsung LCD idiot box.
Using letterbox mode, since CRT is 4:3.
I see the headlines and time below the picture, nothing chopped off.
hector
2017-05-04 16:08:51 UTC
Post by b***@topmail.co.nz
Post by hector
The headlines shown at the bottom of the screen on channel 24 are half
hidden all the time. Does anyone see them properly?
SD TV has a 'normal' mode that slightly overscans. With HD, I can
choose 'full pixel', but I have no options at all on SD TV.
Are TVs different now? I bought mine in 2009. Sony Bravia full HD.
I am currently watching ABC24 on an old CRT+STB because the remote died on my
Samsung LCD idiot box.
Using letterbox mode, since CRT is 4:3.
I see the headlines and time below the picture, nothing chopped off.
Well letterbox mode will show everything which I thought was obvious,
it's not a normal 4:3 display. I only have the default SD mode which
gives no options, and probably full screen TV has always slightly
overscanned since the analog days.
hector
2017-05-06 06:23:36 UTC
Post by hector
The headlines shown at the bottom of the screen on channel 24 are half
hidden all the time. Does anyone see them properly?
SD TV has a 'normal' mode that slightly overscans. With HD, I can
choose 'full pixel', but I have no options at all on SD TV.
Are TVs different now? I bought mine in 2009. Sony Bravia full HD.
Is there anybody with a TV using a built in tuner that can comment on this?
I saw another TV where an external box was used that showed everything.
I would thing it would be less likely that someone would watch ABC24
using an external tuner than an internal tuner.
Trevor
2017-05-06 06:47:52 UTC
Post by hector
Post by hector
The headlines shown at the bottom of the screen on channel 24 are half
hidden all the time. Does anyone see them properly?
SD TV has a 'normal' mode that slightly overscans. With HD, I can
choose 'full pixel', but I have no options at all on SD TV.
Are TVs different now? I bought mine in 2009. Sony Bravia full HD.
Is there anybody with a TV using a built in tuner that can comment on this?
Fine on my TV. Obviously it's an issue with your TV. Presumably the
conversion from SD resolution to your actual display pixels is funny. An
"actual pixel" setting would give you a postage stamp display with an SD
transmission on a HD display, so that's why they don't have it.
Post by hector
I saw another TV where an external box was used that showed everything.
I would thing it would be less likely that someone would watch ABC24
using an external tuner than an internal tuner.
Actually *quite* common for people to have a DVR feeding the TV and NOT
be using the internal tuner at all. Most DVR's have 2 tuners of their own.

Trevor.
hector
2017-05-06 07:07:29 UTC
Post by hector
The headlines shown at the bottom of the screen on channel 24 are half
hidden all the time. Does anyone see them properly?
SD TV has a 'normal' mode that slightly overscans. With HD, I can
choose 'full pixel', but I have no options at all on SD TV.
Are TVs different now? I bought mine in 2009. Sony Bravia full HD.
I did some googling and found that Sony Bravia TVs before 2010 only had
the ability to turn off overscanning in HD mode. From 2010 they could
have overscanning turned off for SD and HD separately, or so I read. So
the ABC now assumes everyone has overscanning turned off on their newly
changed to SD channel?
Many movies are released on disc that allow for overscanning, you get a
small black bar on the top and bottom with 'full pixel', that goes away
with 'normal' screen setting. That's for movies that are in full frame
16:9. And you want overscanning on for widescreen movies with a lot of
letterboxing.
Trevor
2017-05-06 08:27:34 UTC
Post by hector
Post by hector
The headlines shown at the bottom of the screen on channel 24 are half
hidden all the time. Does anyone see them properly?
SD TV has a 'normal' mode that slightly overscans. With HD, I can
choose 'full pixel', but I have no options at all on SD TV.
Are TVs different now? I bought mine in 2009. Sony Bravia full HD.
I did some googling and found that Sony Bravia TVs before 2010 only had
the ability to turn off overscanning in HD mode. From 2010 they could
have overscanning turned off for SD and HD separately, or so I read. So
the ABC now assumes everyone has overscanning turned off on their newly
changed to SD channel?
Seems reasonable to assume most people have now stopped using CRT's. No
need for overscanning any more with fully digital systems. Unless you
want to blow up the centre of widescreen movies. Does ABC24 ever show
movies?

Trevor.