ABC Take Old TV Show Websites Offline
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-09-16 05:45:38 UTC
Looking something up the other day I followed a link to a page on
the website for an old ABC programme, only to find the ABC's new
"Page Removed" page. eg.
http://www.abc.net.au/dynasties/
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/

It seems that after years of preserving all this information
(they even had an old guide to the Australian newsgroups online
until a few years ago), sometime this year they decided to
delete all the pages for shows no longer made, inlcuding
countless videos, transcripts, and follow-up information.

The Internet Archive at least seems to have preserved most of
the text, but of course not the videos and any other large
downloads.

As for their stated reasons for removing the sites, they're
absolutely pathetic. The content may have been "outdated"
but for factual programmes that often makes little
difference, "the site is not accessible to all people"
apparantly means "the site should not be accessible to
any people", and they think it's better not to show you
a page than risk your browser having a compatibility bug
that causes you a "compromised" experience.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Jeßus
2017-09-18 00:21:25 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
[...]
It's their long-winded way of saying "we don't give a fuck".
I'm so over the ABC these days.
Trevor
2017-09-18 04:00:30 UTC
Post by Jeßus
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
[...]
Yes, sad they are now like all commercial businesses. (I just received
an email from my mobile telco telling me what a favor they were doing me
by increasing my monthly charge 40%!, same with my electricity supplier
although not quite as much thankfully) I'm definitely over them too!
And don't get me started on Jetstar's illegal business practices!!!!
What's left, nothing :-(

Trevor.
Clocky
2017-09-18 06:23:38 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Jeßus
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
[...]
Well, cutbacks have to affect something and usually it's the
non-essential that cop the brunt.
Trevor
2017-09-18 07:01:31 UTC
Post by Clocky
Post by Trevor
Post by Jeßus
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
[...]
Hardly a cut back, would cost them more to pay for someone to change the
web site. Not that I care since I never use it anyway.

Trevor.
Jeßus
2017-09-19 10:31:35 UTC
Post by Clocky
Post by Trevor
Post by Jeßus
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
[...]
John Howard wanted to kill off the ABC and I think he basically
succeeded.

Aside from that, I just plain don't like how the ABC has changed in
attitude over the years, they've moved full speed towards the lowest
common denominator as far as I am concerned. Still better than the
commercials? Yes, for sure. But that's doesn't mean I want to watch it
any more either.
Jeßus
2017-09-19 10:33:17 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Jeßus
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
[...]
I'm becoming less and less enthralled by Australia and it's people by
the year, Asia (which is the future anyway) is looking better all the
time (for me at least).
hector
2017-09-28 14:54:19 UTC
Post by Jeßus
Post by Trevor
Post by Jeßus
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
[...]
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Max
What are Jetstar's illegal business practices?
Trevor
2017-09-20 06:32:49 UTC
Post by Max
Post by Trevor
And don't get me started on Jetstar's illegal business practices!!!!
What's left, nothing :-(
What are Jetstar's illegal business practices?
Since you ask. They sell tickets for flights they either don't fly, or
maybe bump you for a higher paying customer. Then they refuse to give
you a suitable alternative flight, and refuse to refund your money. When
you complain to CA/DFT you are told you should get a refund but they
also refuse to help. Jetstar simply tells you to get fcked unless you
take them to court. If you have paid months in advance your bank will
also refuse to help like mine did. I will NOT give them or their parent
Qantas any more money as long as I live! Also never book a flight more
than a month in advance any more so I can get a charge-back if
necessary. Have had much better service since from Virgin and Air NZ,
even from Compass, so I don't miss Jetstar bastards at all. I am amazed
how many people complain every year about shady airline practices and
yet the government still does nothing. :-(

Trevor.
Jeßus
http://www.dontflyjetstar.com/
Trevor
2017-09-21 11:57:22 UTC
Post by Jeßus
Post by Trevor
Post by Max
Post by Trevor
[...]
That should really read, "don't ever give Jetstar your money", THEY
already make sure you don't actually get to FLY with them! :-(

Trevor.